Pro Tip: Roughly 80% of our daily salt intake is hidden in the processed foods we eat, because food companies use heaps of salt to enhance flavour and for preservation!
1) Always Check The Food Labels:
On any packaged food or drinks you buy in a supermarket, if the sodium (salt) is more than 300mg (0.3g) per serving, do not buy it.
2) Avoid Buying High-Salt Foods, such as:
- Condiments like tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, or soy sauce.
- Tinned or packet soups
- Beef, chicken and vegetable stock cubes
- Processed meats like sausages, bacon or ham
- Breads, biscuits, pastries and cakes
- Snacks like crisps and salted nuts.
3) Shop for fresh and natural products.
- Once you have discovered the lowest salt choices, write a list of low-salt options and keep it with you. This will help you to stick to the right food choices and make your shopping much faster!